Sunday, May 31, 2015

New Trails in Embellishment

I had a design that I wanted to embroider, and I didn't feel like using white background cloth, so I found a Fat Quarter that I liked and stamped on that (tracing the printed design with the blue iron-on-transfer pen, which worked very well, indeed).


My only quibble is that the transferred line is very bold. I had to use 4 strands of floss to cover it. Otherwise, it stamped beautifully.

It took me awhile to figure out what the image actually was- I finally realized that it's a Steampunk Sun and Moon (it's not oriented properly above). I didn't actually care what it represented, I just liked it a lot (from Urban Threads, of course).







I was going to embellish the design the same way I did with the skulls, using assorted embroidery stitches and contrasting thread colors. And then I had a notion...


Beads!


 See? Moon and Sun



I am really happy with how this came out. I will probably use this as the front of a patchwork bag.

Cool, no?

P.S. I have a new phone with a kick-ass camera. Can you tell?


3 comments:

Kate/Massachusetts said...

Beautiful work! I would love to learn to embroider!

straythreads said...

your stitching is exquisite!!

Anonymous said...

That is amazing. Love the pattern. Wish I could embroider like that.